Seri Kembangan, formerly known as Serdang New Village, is located within the borders of Selangor. It is a township with an ethnic majority of Chinese and Malay, and is located approximately 20 minutes away from the city centre of Kuala Lumpur. Compared to its beginnings as a 50-house housing area for rubber tappers and tin miners, the town is now a considerable city in size. Surrounding it are the townships of Sri Petaling, Bukit Jalil, Puchong, Bandar Kinrara, Cyberjaya and Putrajaya, and it is this proximity to these areas that has worked to Seri Kembangan’s favour.

Source: Google Maps

Due to Sri Kembangan being such a big town, house prices vary depending on type and location. There are luxury bungalows selling at millions of ringgit as well as basic wooden houses in the new village areas. For example, Equine Park has more greenery and a more upmarket feel as it has the Alice Smith International School, Royal Selangor Equestrian Academy and big bungalows, while the Serdang new village area consists of mostly small terrace houses and shoplots. However, Seri Kembangan’s housing prices are generally lower than its KL neighbours because it carries a Selangor address. Homebuyers looking for spacious residential properties can find a terraced house selling at around RM600,000 and above, while RM500,00 is enough to buy a high-rise unit over 1,200 sq ft in one of the nicer condominiums here.

The majority of visitors to – almost 98% – searched the site for residential property for sale in Seri Kembangan, while the remaining 2% of searches within the area fell into the commercial property for rent category. Generally, residential property values in Seri Kembangan have been climbing over the years, especially properties located close to major highways. Areas bordering Cyberjaya, business hubs and close to highly populated KL neighbourhoods such as Sri Petaling and Bukit Jalil are also preferred by homebuyers in Seri Kembangan, thus fetching higher prices.

Two of the most prominent developers in Seri Kembangan is Equine Capital Bhd (ECB) and LBS Bina Bhd. ECB has four projects here: the 450-acre Equine Park; Putra Permai, a 150-acre mixed development adjacent to Equine Park; Permai Park, and Pusat Bandar Putra Permai. LBS Bina has two projects, namely Taman Pinggiran Putra and Kota Perdana. Other new projects are Serdang Heights, Bukit Ikhlas, Alam Sanctuary and D’Alpina.

Source: Palace of the Golden Horses

Seri Kembangan is home to landmarks such as the Palace of the Golden Horses hotel, the Selangor Turf Club, The Mines Shopping Mall, Universiti Putra Malaysia, AEON (formerly known as Jusco) Taman Equine, Giant Hypermarket, and South City Plaza. One of the major tourist attractions in Seri Kembangan is the MINES Resort City, a healthcare-oriented resort city which features a shopping mall with a ‘canal’ going through it, the MIECC (Malaysia International Exhibition & Convention Centre), and the Palace of the Golden Horses, a luxury hotel. The development used to include a theme park known as Mines Wonderland, which operated between 1997 and 2011.

Source: Universiti Putra Malaysia

Besides having a good number of government primary and secondary schools in its various residential enclaves, Seri Kembangan is also home to four tertiary education institutions, including Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), as well as two international schools, namely Alice Smith Secondary School and the Australian International School Malaysia, the latter which is located in MINES Resort City. This not only makes it an ideal location for families looking to settle down, it also provides good investment and rental opportunities for landlords and university students.

Aerial view of bored piling works in progress at the Seri Kembangan MRT Station site. (Source: MRT Corp)

Transport-wise, besides the due to its located at the intersection of three tolled highways, Seri Kembangan is regarded as the southern gateway into Kuala Lumpur for motorists travelling from southern Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca or Johor. Public transportation to Seri Kembangan include the KTM, LRT and MRT.

The Estate123 Big Data Spotlight series features the most popular monthly property search results by visitors to Each week, we will highlight and introduce these areas – be it established or upcoming townships – to find out more about what makes them appeal to property hunters.