Update: Get details of the 2016 Merdeka road closure here!
First the road closures for KL City Grand Prix, and now the annual road closures for Merdeka preparations and celebrations? We’re breathing a sigh of relief here in Petaling Jaya, but for our less fortunate friends in Kuala Lumpur, you might want to take note of the routes that are affected and plan your commute or schedules accordingly to avoid running late or being stuck in unnecessary traffic jams.
A total of eighteen routes around Dataran Merdeka will be temporarily closed from Wednesday until Monday (26 – 31 August) to make way for the National Day preparations and celebrations. The routes will be closed at 6 a.m. daily and are expected to reopen in stages by noon each day, although Dataran Merdeka will be closed off to the public prior to National Day on the August 31 for rehearsals and preparations.
Only vehicles that have special stickers will be allowed entry to the Dataran Merdeka area via Bulatan Dato Onn-Jalan Gereja and have to be parked in the parking lot under Dataran Merdeka. Exceptions will be made for VVIPs, VIPs, ambassadors and those with an official invitation to attend the celebrations. Chartered buses, meanwhile, will be allowed to drop off and pick up the Merdeka parade participants, which number approximately 7,000 people, near Dataran Merdeka until 7 a.m.
The road closures will also likely affect the 34-hour Bersih 4.0 rally, which aims to gather in areas surrounding Dataran Merdeka. The rally is scheduled to take place from 2p.m. on Saturday (29 Aug) until midnight on Sunday (30 Aug).
If you are not planning to take part in either the Merdeka parade (as participant or audience) or Bersih 4 rally, we strongly advise against heading into the city over the weekend, and to take the KTM, LRT or Monorail if you plan to do so.
The 18 arterial roads affected by the road closure are:
- Jalan Travers/Jalan Damansara (Muzium Negara)
- Jalan Mahameru/Jalan Damansara (Carcosa)
- Jalan Mahameru/Jalan Damansara (Muzium Negara ramp)
- Bulatan Hishamuddin/Jalan Lembah (Masjid Negara)
- Jalan Perdana/Jalan Lembah
- Jalan Kinabalu/Bulatan Hishamuddin (Dayabumi)
- Jalan Kinabalu/Jalan Hishamuddin (Susur Bukit Aman)
- Jalan Lembah/Jalan Cenderasari
- Leboh Pasar Besar/Jalan Hang Kasturi
- Leboh Ampang/Jalan Tun Perak
- Jalan Dang Wangi/Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman
- Jalan Kuching/Bulatan Dato Onn
- Jalan Kinabalu/Bulatan Dato Onn
- Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman/Jalan Raja (Dataran Merdeka)
- Jalan Hishamuddin/Jalan Raja (Dataran Merdeka)
- Jalan Parlimen/Bulatan Dato Onn (Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur)
- Jalan Dato Onn/Jalan Raja (Kelab Diraja Selangor)
- Jalan Mahkamah Persekutuan
Police will take stern action against those who park at cordoned areas and obstruct traffic, and this will include issuing summonses, so remember to park your vehicles in the parking areas highlighted in the map, or at nearby KTM/LRT stations and taking the train(s) downtown.