Yes, it’s that time of the year again, when the Jalur Gemilang flutters majestically in the wind and patriotic songs are heard in school hallways. This year’s Merdeka celebrations will undoubtedly be extra special, because our national athletes have brought back a historic amount of Olympic medals from the Rio 2016 Olympics.
It comes as no surprise that several roads in Kuala Lumpur will be closed in conjunction with the Hari Merdeka (National Day) 2016 parade rehearsal at Dataran Merdeka.
Jalan Raja will be closed from 8am – 1pm from 23 – 26 Aug 2016 (Tues – Fri) to make preparations for the grand event.
After that, from this 27 – 31 Aug (Sat – next Wed), 18 other roads would also be closed from 6am – 1pm to enable participants to stage rehearsals for the actual celebrations.
You know the drill by now: Motorists are urged to use alternative routes or public transport to travel to the city centre, and those who are driving downtown should heed the road diversions and orders from traffic police.
You might want to check your driver’s license and vehicle road tax too, since PDRM will be deplying some 150 traffic personnel to ensure the National Day 2016 parade and celebrations proceed without a hitch.
Here’s the list of affected roads (27 – 31 August 2016):
- Jalan Travers – Jalan Damansara (National Museum)
- Jalan Mahameru – Jalan Damansara (Carcosa Seri Negara)
- Jalan Mahameru – Jalan Damansara (National Museum)
- Bulatan Hishammuddin – Jalan Lembah (National Mosque)
- Jalan Perdana – Jalan Lembah
- Jalan Kinabalu – Bulatan Hishammuddin (Dayabumi)
- Jalan Kinabalu – Jalan Hishammuddin (Bukit Aman)
- Jalan Lembah – Jalan Cenderasari
- Lebuh Pasar Besar – Jalan Hang Kasturi
- Leboh Ampang – Jalan Tun Perak
- Jalan Dang Wangi – Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman
- Jalan Kuching – Bulatan Dato Onn
- Jalan Kinabalu – Bulatan Dato Onn
- Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman – Jalan Raja (Dataran Merdeka)
- Jalan Hishammuddin – Jalan Raja (Dataran Merdeka)
- Jalan Parlimen – Bulatan Dato Onn (DBKL)
- Bulatan Dato Onn – Jalan Raja (Royal Selangor Club)
- Jalan Mahkamah Persekutuan
The Star Online